Friday, October 17, 2008

Sciple's Water Mill

Last week, we took a field trip to DeKalb, MS. It was so worth the drive. Needless to say, I had no idea of what we were going to experience!

I met this really neat fella named Edward Sciple. Mr. Edward operates the only water powered mill in the state of Mississippi. He grinds corn to make corn meal and grits. He sells an unheard of amount of corn meal a week!! He stays very busy and really enjoys his business.

When we stepped upon his property, we were taken back into a different time and place. A place that has been forgotten for many years. My great grandparents were farmers who primarily lived off the land. My grandfather used to tell me about life was when he was a young boy. Life was hard but simple. People were honest and the trustworthy. Even the humor was different. So sadly, that generation has passed.

Mr. Sciple has that old humor that's clean and generally funny! The nature of his personality was the true treasure that we found on our visit. I will say, if you have the spare time to visit, you should! Buy some of his home ground corn meal makes the best corn bread. Don't worry, if you don't know how to make it, his recipe is on the bag!



Mr. Sciple driving his golf cart









Mr. Sciple telling us some tall tales!!










The water mill






Lake behind the water mill...do you see the spider and his web?



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I recently visited this wonderful place myself for the purposes of wonderful cornmeal (my husband is from the area) and photos!!! I wasn't fortunate enough to have met anyone while there....we left our money in an _Honor Box_ !!! I have posted info and photos of the mill on a website http://www.redbubble.com/people/LADYMUDD

and will provide a link for readers to see your wonderful story and photos...

Anonymous said...

I my related to u my mom is Ann sciple and my poppop is Tom sciple